Note that this is my current view, but if market conditions change my view can change too. Generally I will trade in alignment with what I have noted here, though I will wait for a set-up before I enter. I base my view on technical and fundamental information. This is my beliefs and you are welcome to have opposite ones. Having a plan is more important than the actual direction for me.
- Long GBP/USD. Trend – MT is bull normal. Fundamentally some wind was taken out of the sails in the UK with news last week, but I expect that is not going to impact the long-term trend. Still prefer to trade GBP against currency pairs other than the USD, as the longer term trend is bearish and I expect more USD strength. Not a bad trade if you like it though.
- Waiting USD/JPY. MT is sideways normal. Looking for long breakouts preferably with a fundamental catalyst.
- Waiting AUD/USD – MT is sideways. As discussed here news has been negative with no price follow though. Bias towards being short for now but wary of a breakout to the upside.
- Waiting EUR/USD. – MT is sideways. The Greek tragedy, as it has been dubbed, still continues despite headlines. I don’t see much risk of Greece leaving the EUR just now, as the EU is a political more than a financial construct, but it is possible. The Fed minutes are also not as dovish (doves want to keep rates low) as the headlines suggest.
- Long NZD/USD. Trend – MT is bull normal. Don’t have much conviction in this opportunity for fundamental reasons.
- Long USD/CHF. Breakout – MT is bull normal. Had the anticipated long breakout but a large bearish candle on Friday could be an indication the breakout will fail. This is a higher conviction trade for me.
- Waiting USD/CAD. – MT is volatile sideways. Look for range trading opportunities.
- Long AUD/JPY. Trend –MT is bull normal. The expected reversal is continuing so continue to look for long trades.
- Long NZD/JPY Trend – MT is bull normal. Stalk for a low-risk long entry point.
- Waiting GBP/NZD. – MT is sideways. Remaining within the range for now.
- Long AUD/NZD. Reversal – MT is longer-term sideways, shorter-term bear. Could be time to start building a long AUD/NZD position. Had a daily bullish reversal candle off weekly support with strong follow through which has now formed a weekly bullish pin candle. A weekly double bottom off major support could be in place. Don’t be surprised if the downside is tested one more time. But it’s a good long now, can’t wait for everything to be perfect. I have conviction about this trade.
- Short EUR/GBP. Trend – MT is bear normal. Keep going short.
- Waiting EUR/AUD. – MT is volatile sideways. Big bullish engulfing on the 4 hour chart presenting a good opportunity for shorter-term traders in this market type.
- Short EUR/NZD. Trend – MT is bear normal. Still don’t have don’t have high conviction in this trade.
- Long GBP/AUD. Trend – MT is bull normal. Starting to form a range. This idea is invalid if price holds below 1.9600, but otherwise I like this trade. No support in site for the AUD on the monthly chart.
- Long GBP/JPY. Trend -MT is bull normal. Still a big fan of this trade and price action looks bullish.
(MT = Market Type: Click for more information on market types.)
Trend: Market is trending in the direction I have listed and I expect it to continue.
Reversal: I am looking for a reversal against the current trend.
Breakout: The currency pair is breaking out of a range.
About the Author
Sam Eder is a currency trader and author of the Definitive Guide to Developing a Winning Forex Trading System and the Advanced Forex Course for Smart Traders (get free access). He is a co-owner of Forex Signal Provider www.fxrenew.com. If you like Sam’s writing you can subscribe to his newsletter.
The post Forex Trading Opportunities for the Week Ahead 22 Feb 2015 appeared first on www.forextell.com.