From the FXWW Chatroom: Citi…Month-End FX Hedge Rebalancing: November 2016 Final Estimate
Please open the attached file to read the full report:
· The final estimate of month-end FX hedge rebalancing flows calls for USD and JPY selling and buying of all other currencies today. The signals have not changed since the preliminary update on 24 November.
· This month’s signal to sell USD and JPY is largely driven by the good performance of US and Japanese equities which have risen 3.6% and 5.8% month-to-date respectively.
· Net fixed income rebalancing flows are also estimated to be negative for JPY as Japanese investors’ needs to sell off some hedges on US and Euro-Zone fixed income dominate foreigners’ needs to rebalance Japanese bond hedges.
· The signal to buy EURUSD is the only one that exceeds 1 standard deviation this month. Both Euro-Zone bond and equity indices have done fairly badly month-to-date, leading foreigners to buy EUR on top of local investors who also need to buy EUR to increase the value of their foreign equity hedges.
· The ADP jobs report and speeches by ECB’s Draghi and Fed’s Kaplan will probably attract the most attention ahead of the 4pm London time fix today.
View the latest market information in the FXWW Chatroom with a free trial